To serve Hong Kong by making it a safe place to live and work.
MissionTo protect life and property from fire or other calamity.
To give advice on fire protection measures and fire hazards.
To educate the community and to promote the public awareness on fire safety.
To render ambulance aid to the sick and the injured and convey them to hospital.
ValuesUpholding high standards of integrity.
Striving for professionalism and continuous improvement.
Dedication and commitment to providing quality service.
Readiness in meeting challenge and accepting accountability.
Maintaining high spirit and esprit de corps among staff members.
Our Core Functions
Respond rapidly to fire calls and carry out effectively both land-based and marine fire-fighting operation.
Provide effective and efficient rescue services on land and at sea.
Advise the public on fire protection measures; promote public awareness of fire safety; enforce fire services legislations and handle licensing and certification issues.
Emergency Ambulance Services
Respond expeditiously to ambulance calls and provide effective, efficient and advanced emergency ambulance services.
Serving the Community
To be always in readiness to serve the community of Hong Kong.
Review and monitor performance targets to achieve the Department's performance pledges. We aim to:-
- Achieve at least 92.5% of total building fire calls to meet the graded response time.
- Achieve at least 92.5% of total emergency ambulance calls to meet the response time.
- Conduct investigation within 24 hours into complaints of fire hazards that may pose an imminent danger to public safety. For fire hazards not posing imminent danger, they will be investigated within 10 working days.
- Respond to requests for issuance of Fire Services reports on incidents or any damage caused by fires or other calamities to any premises, vessel or other property within 21 working days.
- Deploy flexibly our available resources to achieve the performance pledges by :
- Re-deploying our fire-fighting and ambulance resources at strategic locations.
- Extending emergency ambulance cover at fire stations.
- Strengthen the communication with the general public by obtaining feedback from the Public Liaison Group and carry out more public education programmes to better serve the community.
- Continue to enhance productivity by conducting regular reviews and reforms to departmental structures and procedures.
Fire Suppression and Rescue Services
To provide efficient and effective fire suppression and rescue services to the community.
- Continue to review the current fire-fighting and rescue procedures so as to improve our overall operational efficiency.
- Enhance land-based and marine fire-fighting and rescue capabilities by introducing modern techniques and equipment.
- Enhance diving and underwater rescue capabilities by equipping our Diving Unit with advanced diving equipment and vessel.
- Ensure that all fire-fighting and rescue units are in an immediate state of readiness to achieve a prompt emergency response.
- Improve the communication and co-ordination in fire-fighting and rescue operation.
- Continue to review and upgrade resource strategic plans.
- Continue to review the Incident Command System (ICS) so as to improve the command and control of incidents.
- Continue to research, develop and implement more advanced and effective operational information system and equipment.
- Continue to upgrade our fire boat fleet with modern technology.
- Continue to provide better aerial rescue service to the community in the event of high rise building fire.
- Continue to develop the First Responder programme so as to enhance emergency ambulance services provided to the community.
- Continue to improve emergency response to remote areas or to overcome traffic congestion with the provision of light weight appliances and Fire Motor-cycle (FMC).
- To carry out fire investigation into the cause of fire so as to deter unlawful act or to minimize recurrence of the same incident.
Fire Protection and Prevention
To minimize fire hazards in the community and to ensure appropriate fire protection measures are provided in buildings/premises according to their intended uses.
- Promote a fire safety culture among the community through public education and community involvement programmes.
- Strengthen the control over the manufacture, storage, use and conveyance of dangerous goods.
- Ensure that buildings are provided with the necessary fire service installations and equipment.
- Carry out inspections to buildings to ensure that fire service installations and equipment as well as ventilation systems therein are properly maintained and all means of escape are free from obstruction.
- Approve the use of gas cylinders and endorse portable fire-fighting equipment for sale or supply in the market.
- Review the Fire Services (Installations and Equipment) Regulations to strengthen the control over the portable fire fighting equipment and the issuance of maintenance certificates of fire service installations and equipment.
- Ensure that all requests for advice on fire safety matters are efficiently dealt with.
- Enforce fire safety legislation effectively.
- Upgrade the fire safety provisions of old buildings.
- Vet loan applications pertaining to fire safety improvement works under the Building Safety Loan Scheme and make recommendations on technical and costing aspects.
- Continue to implement the Fire Safety Ambassador Scheme.
- Continue to review the Dangerous Goods Legislation in keeping with international standards regarding the control of dangerous goods.
- Continue to review the Fire Protection Information System to enable faster exchange of information.
- Review the legislative provisions regarding the registration scheme for fire service installation contractors to enhance their professionalism, monitor and control their performance, in a bid to keep pace with the development of the industry.
- Launch a pilot four-pronged approach to enhance fire safety in old buildings through publicity, enforcement, checking and partnership with owners / occupants and property management staff of such buildings.
- Continue to implement the pilot Building Fire Safety Envoy Scheme.
- Ensure that fire safety requirements of licensed premises are fully complied with.
Emergency Ambulance Services
To provide effective and efficient paramedic emergency ambulance service to meet the public demand.
- Render effective assistance to any person who appears to need prompt or immediate medical attention by securing his safety, resuscitating or sustaining his life and reducing his suffering or distress.
- Ensure that all emergency calls that require the immediate provision of ambulance aid and subsequent conveyance of the sick or injured persons to hospital are responded to as expeditiously as possible.
- Ensure that all hospital transfer calls received by the Department, involving the transfer of patients from a hospital or clinic to an acute hospital for urgent medical investigation or treatment are responded to as expeditiously as possible.
- Ensure that all ambulances and equipment are well maintained and fully operational at all times.
- Maintain good working relationship with district organizations, medical institutions etc. to facilitate the effective and efficient discharge of operational duties.
- Continue to enhance communication and coordination among ambulance crews in operational incidents.
- Continue to evaluate and introduce more advanced and effective ambulance equipment.
- Continue to replace the existing ambulance fleet with modern and better-designed vehicles to enhance operational efficiency.
- Maintain and enhance pre-hospital emergency care knowledge and skills of personnel through regular and specialized training.
- Continue to implement the Rapid Response Vehicle Scheme to enhance the delivery of paramedic ambulance service.
- Continue to provide community education programme on the provision of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation training.
- Continue to strengthen publicity activities to educate the public on the proper use of emergency ambulance service.
- Develop a comprehensive post-dispatch advice (PDA) computer system to accurately provide detailed and appropriate PDA to the callers and help stabilise the patients' conditions.
- Continue to adopt the Paramedic Services Quality Assurance System to enhance the quality of paramedic ambulance service.
- Continue to adopt the electronic Ambulance Journey Record System for capturing essential patient data for analysis.
- Monitor the implementation of a computer aided Ambulance Management Information System to enhance the management of the ambulance fleet.
- Continue to explore the long-term arrangement for provision of emergency ambulance services.
Development and Staff Training/Management
To develop and gear up staff to achieve excellence and professional satisfaction in the delivery of services as well as to manage resources and assets to best achieve our mission.
- Develop and implement organizational structures, systems and procedures in order to support government policies and community needs.
- Develop and provide professional training to staff to enhance the standard of services to be delivered.
- Formulate long-term strategy in resources planning and deployment to cope with the territorial development and maximize efficiency to meet the departmental mission.
- Ensure that the performance and professionalism of all personnel are maintained at the highest possible standard.
- Maintain staff morale and discipline so as to offer effective services.
- Enhance the safety and health of operational staff.
- Continue to provide fire stations and ambulance depots at strategic locations within the Territory in order to maintain efficient services to the community.
- Continue to develop the Staff's Suggestion Scheme in order to upkeep the participation and morale among staff.
- Improve mobilizing and communication capabilities of the Third Generation Mobilization System so as to provide better deployment of fire appliances and ambulances.
- Continue to develop the 'First Responder Programme' so as to strengthen the operational capability of frontline firefighters for the provision of a more expeditious pre-hospital care to those in need.
- Implementation of Asset Management and Maintenance System.
- Formulate long-term strategies on information systems, infrastructure and resources required to meet the Department's information and business development needs.