REMEMBER: FIRE SAFETY BEGINS WITH YOU
Building residents should note the following:
- Be familiar with the means of escape and escape routes of the building;
- Develop a fire escape plan and designate a meeting place;
- Participate in fire prevention talks and fire drills organized by the building;
- Ensure fire escape routes (including corridor and staircase) are free from obstruction;
- Ensure that the smoke stop doors, ground floor exit doors and roof exit doors of the building are not locked;
- Keep the smoke stop doors closed to prevent smoke and fire from spreading and to reduce loss in case of fire;
- Report any fire hazards to the Fire Services Department by calling 2723 8787.
If a fire breaks out in your unit
- Keep calm;
- Tell everyone in your unit to leave;
- Escape by the nearest staircase;
- Break the breakglass unit in the corridor to activate the fire alarm;
- Call “999” to report the fire when you are safe.
When you hear the fire alarm
- Respond and act quickly;
- Stay in the unit if the situation allows. If there is a fire, call “999” to inform the Fire Services Department and take the following measures:
Before leaving the unit
- Evaluate the risk of escaping from the unit;
- Promptly decide whether to stay in the unit or to leave.
If you decide to stay in the unit
- Close the door and seal any gaps around it with duct tapes and wet towels;
- If smoke continues to enter the unit, call “999” and inform the Fire Services Department of where you are trapped;
- Move to a room free of smoke;
- Show the fire personnel your location by hanging a bed sheet or waving a towel at the balcony or by the window.
If you decide to leave the unit
- Bring along the three useful items for fire escape (mobile phone, keys and wet towel);
- If the corridor is free of smoke, leave the unit rapidly;
- Close the unit door;
- Escape through the nearest staircase and do not use the lift;
- If there is smoke in the staircase, escape by another staircase immediately;
- If there is no staircase with a safe passage, return to your unit or try knocking at the doors of other units until you find a safe place to take shelter;
- If smoke is blocking your way, crawl along the floor as the air is fresher near the ground.